Gulfport Central Middle School – 2014-2015
Activities planned at Gulfport Central Middle School this year include:
Back to School Activities
- Teen/Parent Night- Activities that educate adults on texting and driving. Many of the students today complained about the adults in their life that text and drive, that many teens tried to stop. Will also be reaching the teens that night as well. Will be using the ‘two birds with one stone’ concept and that they will learn to hold each other accountable.
- Drinking and Driving- One is too much!
America’s Safe Schools Week (October 20-24)
- Start a bullying council in the school district as well as the Middle and High School level. These students will discuss the importance of reporting when things are not safe. This does not make you a “snitch” it makes you a protector. The High School and Middle School students will work together to mentor each other as well as the elementary schools in the district.
National Youth Violence Prevention Week (March 23-27)
- Guest speakers will be invited to come and talk with the students. The grant can help us to get speakers to some as well as provide students with ongoing education support to help with mentoring students.
National Youth Traffic Safety Month
- Prom and graduation safety. Guest speakers come adn talk to students about the dangers of drinking and driving.
Activities during other times of the school year:
- February 28th there will be a Zumbathon to get out information about SAVE Driving as well as taking care of your health. Ms. Doughty will be leading the event. Zumba Time
- Share with classmates how to protect others from bullying and to be “peer watchers”.
- Host a drinking and driving demonstration that will deter others from drinking and driving not only at prom and graduation, but throughout the year and weekends. (Texting and Driving will also be discussed)
- Host a rally to educate adults on the importance of not drinking and driving as well as buckling up and being good role models for their teens they are in contact with.
- Pair up with middle school students to start discussions and rally’s before the temptation comes when they start driving.
- Anti Bullying Rally
- No Violence in My Space Training
- Anti Bullying Council Training
- Peer Mentors and Watch Outs
Gulfport Central Middle School SAVE Advisor is Shannon Doughty.