Garner High School – 2014-2015
PRESS: Garner Students Learn Dangers of Texting While Driving – Garner-Cleveland Record November 19, 2015
Teen safe driving and school safety activities conducted at Garner High School for the 2014-15 school year include:
Back to School Activities
- Open House advertising SAVE events for the year and recruitment of new members.
- Posted signs inviting members to first meeting.
- September 26th Homecoming Parade-Homecoming float correlating parade theme to SAVE activities.
- Participated in AT&T “It Can Wait'”activities.
America’s Safe School Week (October 20-24, 2014)
- National SAVE Day Rally “Round the Flag Pole against Bullying” and “Take a Stand, Hand in Hand (encouraging other students to participate)”
- Produced PSA for school announcements during the week against bullying, domestic violence and TV/media violence.
- Lunch banner signing pledging to end violence in schools on October 22.
National Youth Violence Prevention Week (March 23-27, 2015)
- Banner signing of pledge against violence.
- ‘Silence the Violence” day where students are silent all day and wear Silence the Violence t-shirts or duct tape strips that voice their stance against violence.
- Video announcements reiterating anti-bullying message.
- Provided peer to peer education on how to be safe on the internet.
National Youth Traffic Safety Month (May)
- On May 5th-Junior and Senior Choices & Consequences Assembly during 2nd block with speakers sharing info on distracted driving and drinking while driving. Simulated mock crash with drunk driver fatality during 4th block.
- Partnered with Garner Police Dept, Fire Dept. and Wake County EMS to hold seminar and mock crash for juniors and seniors prior to prom.
- Students sign promise of safe and sober prom when handing out prom tickets
- Handed out THINK bracelets for students to remember their promise.
- Posted signs with THINK message throughout school.
Activities during other times of the school year:
- Silence the Violence Day on April 9th. Students who participate were silent all day in support of getting violence out of our schools.
- Anti-Texting While Driving Event held on April 14.
- Created Halloween treat bags for InterAct Women’s Shelter for children and women, including words of encouragement and hope.
- Post Safety Turkeys in lobby and entrances to remind students to make good choices over the holidays was held on November 18th.
- Created holiday baskets for families in need December 1-16.
- Created Valentine’s for InterAct Shelter.
- Substance Abuse Prevention week with pledge to be “Above the Influence.”
- Anti-texting event for beginning drivers-November 13th was the Anti-Texting Event held in conjuction with Garner Police Traffic Unit., driving golf carts while attempting to text with portion of video/speaking presentation. Also, covered driving and driving and other distracted driving impacts.
The SAVE Advisor at Garner High School is Vickie Szarek.