National SAVE Day
Sandy Hook Promise invites all SAVE Promise Clubs to participate in National SAVE Day! Mark your calendars for this important event to take place on October 24, 2018. This event occurs annually during the third full week in October during America’s Safe Schools Week. During the week of October 21 – 27, 2018, thousands of schools and youth organizations from across the United States will participate.
- Determine activities for the day/week
- List resources needed – supplies & funds
- Brainstorm guest speakers
- Develop timeline & action plan and assignments
- Publicize event to school, parents and the community – media alert, PSAs, posters, school newsletter, school website, social media
- Confirm guest speaker and obtain speaker needs
- Practice skits or speaking events that will occur
- Seek additional volunteers if needed for event
Week of National SAVE Day
- Conduct PSAs on in school announcements or TV programs, distribute to radio and TV stations
- Decorate for National SAVE Day
- Call media and invite them to attend the activities
- Conduct National SAVE Day activities!
- Recognize sponsors and supporters at events via signage and verbally
National SAVE Day
- Host a selfie station in the cafeteria. #SAVEDay
- Wear Orange 4 Unity Day and in memory of Alex Orange
- “Reach out to the Un-Reached.” Challenge all students to get to know at least one student they currently do not know well.
- Adopt a SAVE Member. Ask older students to “adopt” younger students in their school – have them serve as their “buddy” throughout the school year.
- Create a Unity Tree to represent your SAVE team!
- Write positive letters and anonymously deliver to students and adults.
- Write compliments, quotes & happy comment post-it notes and place on lockers, mirrors, & desks
- Chalk It Up! Create positive & encouraging messages on the sidewalks
Send pictures, video and write up to:
After National SAVE Day
Send thank yous to media, speakers, sponsors, volunteers, administrators and staff!
Not a SAVE Promise Club? Click here to register.